Building new or renovating an existing structure is an exciting time for everyone. It is all about finding what you want, how you want to live and where you want to be. As you go through the process, it takes time and research to figure out exactly what you want. Let’s take a look at the six initial steps you will want to take when creating a new home.
- Set Goals: Creating a new home is all about setting goals and taking the steps to achieve those goals. You’ll want to have answers to questions like: what do you want to achieve, where do you want cost to be, what will this cost, can it really be achieved, does plan A make sense and what’s plan B?
- Establish a budget: While you have to keep your budget in mind when setting goals, the budget is such a huge aspect of building or renovating a home that it is its own task. When making your budget, of course you’ll begin with what you can afford and how the cost of your house fits in with the overall plan for your future. Details will include everything that will go into the project: the cost of land, local fees and taxes, design and engineering fees, construction of the home and the furnishing and decorations that go inside. A spreadsheet program such as Excel is a good tool to use, so you can continue to update and modify it as you go.
- Finding where you want to build: There is a laundry list of questions that go into this, anywhere from where you want to be, how you want to live, how close it to work is, school districts, weather; everything plays a factor in determining this location.
- Assemble a team: An architect and a builder (if not one and the same) are going to be your most important team members. These people will act as your guide, therapist, advocate and counselor throughout the journey and creating the perfect home for you and your loved ones. P&D Builders are a great resource to help you from start to finish of building your dream home.
- Plan, plan, plan: When taking on such a large project it is crucial to plan. Things will go differently than you might have imagined but that is okay. You will be faced with a million decisions during this time, so be careful not to sweat the small stuff and all of your hard work will pay off in the end.
- Enjoy your new home: You have put in the time and spent your hard earned money to create your new home, so enjoy it as much as possible. It is time to make memories with your loved ones in your new space.
P&D would love to be there every step of the way to help you build the home of your dreams. Contact us today to get started!